Road trips are one of the most popular and exciting ways for family and friends to travel across new surroundings, with so many unique sights to become immersed in. Instagram is one of the most popular platforms to capture and share those special moments.
With many people still being wary of international travel and staycations continuing to rise in 2021, Pentagon Motor Group was curious to discover the most beautiful bucket list journey’s that travellers can tick off without leaving the comfort of their car.
The research involved analysing over 7 million Instagram hashtags associated with the world’s most popular road trip destinations and calculating how many Instagram pictures are shared per mile of the journey. The country with the most Instagram posts per mile being crowned the most picturesque in the world.
Chapman’s Peak, which refers to the name of a mountain on the western side of the Cape Peninsula, between Hout Bay and Noordhoek in Cape Town, came in at number five after the group crunched some numbers pertaining to Instagram.
Here are the top most beautiful road trip routes in the world
- Great Ocean Road, Australia – 8 418 pictures per mile (1.6km)
- Big Sur, USA – 5 226 pictures per mile
- Jebel Hafeet, United Arab Emirates – 4 840 pictures per mile
- Hai Van Pass, Vietnam – 4 298 pictures per mile
- Chapman’s Peak Drive, South Africa – 3 425 pictures per mile
- Blue Ridge Parkway, USA – 1 148 pictures per mile
- Going-To-The-Sun Road, USA – 940 pictures per mile
- Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland – 853 pictures per mile
- Olympic Peninsula Loop, USA – 798 pictures per mile
Chapman’s Peak came in at number five. The Peak – that is affectionately known as “chappies” by locals – took seven years to complete and was first built in 1922, but has since undergone major work to improve the road for tourists. It came in at 5.5 miles (almost 9km) route with 3 425 pictures per mile. If you wish to view some exciting career opportunities in South Africa, make sure you click through to our job section.